A couple of Karen Millen dresses for inspiration
I did a scan of my pattern collection and found the perfect pattern for this material. I was in love from the start. I opted for Simplicity 2253 in the short version. I LOVED the criss-cross bodice (am now humming to the tune of ‘Jump’) and the pleated detail on the shoulder. It did scare me a little in terms of getting the fit right, but I forged ahead.
Construction of the dress went almost unscathed. I ended up having to take a little in around the waist and butt to ensure it was fitted, without being too tight naturally. I added about two inches to the hem as the dress is actually quite short if you cut as is. Even with the additional length, its still on the shorter side for me. I also had to fiddle around quite a bit with the placement of the pleats on the shoulder. When I ironed them as the folds suggested on the pattern it just didn’t seem to suit as is, so I ended up spreading them out a bit more. I wanted to hide the small cap sleeve that sits underneath also.
I lined the bodice with a coordianting bemsilk lining in red and the skirt is unlined. I also put in a invisible zipper on the side seam which required a couple of go's just to make sure the seams all lined up but I got there in the end!
Once I finished up with making this dress and tried it on, I loved it! It’s such a banging colour and a nice change to wear a more cocktail style dress in a single pop colour. The only challenge now is to figure out how best to hang this in the wardrobe. I always struggle with hanging one shouldered dresses as I’m not a real fan of adding in the ribbons on the sides of the dresses for hanging. I find they end up hanging outside of the dress and just ruin the whole look.