I picked up the fabric from my local Lincraft, a basic cotton print with rainbow painted stripes along one selvedge and then green stripes continuing on the rest of the fabric. I like finding fabric that has a bit of a border print as it can add real interest to a dress, rather than just an overall print.
I had a suitable pattern in my stash, Simplicity 2588 that I could use. I’ve become a big fan of Simplicity patterns, particularly their dress patterns. I find that in almost all occasions I can cut out a size 10 and know I’m going to get the right fit without having to make too many alterations. I liked the neckline on the sleeveless version and thought it would work well with the stripe in the fabric.
As I had predicted, the pattern didn’t let me down and I did not have to make any adjustments apart from adding a little length so it falls under my knee. I was careful to ensure the stripes matched up, especially on the back neckline from the top of the zip and I just got lucky that the stripes along the zip where it meets the skirts aligned up too. The gods were on my side!
Last but not least, I added the suggested bow from the coloured part of the fabric which is only a small detail but one I really love. I wear this dress out with a candy coloured cardigan I have that matches the pink in the dress perfectly. I’m really happy with how this turned out, and love that it didn’t cost much more than $25. Rainbow bright would be so proud.