Follow Bobbin and Baste

 

My wardrobe is verging on ALL THE LACE right now. I can't seem to stop buying and making things from lace, or any fabric with lots of texture really. I know I've been influenced by the runway and this seasons RTW collections because there is a lot in the stores too. My winter wardrobe planning is currently underway, and I'm not going to lie, there's a whole lotta lace on the list too. Here's hoping there is never a lace revolt on the horizon. The lace I used in this dress came from The Remnant Warehouse. My go to for lace. It was ex-Alice McCall and I knew I had to snap it up as soon as I saw it. I love stars on fabric. I also quite loved the blue in this lace too.

I bought this pattern off Etsy as soon as I saw it, I just felt it a necessary addition to the pattern stash. Do I ever not? The pattern is McCalls 7620.  Is it just me or is McCalls patterns really nailing trends right now? Everytime they bring out a new catalogue I normally love at least 2-3 patterns. In the past, I steered clear of them. I remember as a teenager I used to be all about Butterick and Vogue patterns, and now I'd say it's more about Simplicity and McCalls. This dress pattern had a few options with respect to tiers of frills on the dress. I really wanted to go with the three-tiered option, but I know for me and my figure I would be better off with the two-tiered option that meant less fabric sticking out from the waist. I was also conscious of how much fabric the dress would eat up. I bought black bemsilk lining for the bodice and due to using lace I also lined all the main fabric pieces with black lining material also before stitching together, cutting out the skirt shorter than the dress to show off the lace more. I used a walking foot when sewing lining and main fabric pieces together to help keep the two slippery fabrics together, espeially given the lace had more give than the woven lining. I opted to use a stretch black satin for the shoulder straps, so the straps hug my shoulders and they sit more smoothly on me than if I had used lace.

I cut out the pattern in a size 12 but graded out to a size 14 from the waist down to the hem. Thanks donuts. I finished off the hems of the frills with black bias binding. I sewed it down 0.5cm from the edge of the hem on the the right side of the fabric. I then turned it over to the inside and machine stitched it onto the inside. Thankfully it turned out pretty well and the black blends in well with the lace design. I also used bias binding to finish the top edges of the dropped shoulders. From a fit perspective I didn't have to make any changes. It was a bit tight at the zipper, so I had to take it out a little. I also added about 2 inches to the length so it finishes just above the knees and the lining is the original length of the pattern. I ended up shortening the straps by about 2 inches. Mainly because of the stretch in them. But they were a little long, which always seems to be the way with straps for me. 

It's an interesting style to wear because the arm holes are a little snug so I can't actually raise my arms in it. Having said that, I'm not sure if making the arm holes bigger would have helped because the fabric would have drooped just too much on my arms. So I won't be doing cartwheels anytime soon in this dress!